Saturday, June 5, 2010

Birthday party


We're sitting in the back yard eating hors d'oeuvres, noting that nearly everyone present will have a birthday in the next four months.

Judy (friend's grandmother): I'm August 14. That's V-J Day.

Me: I didn't know that...

Judy: I remember we were upstairs listening to the radio. The president came on and said the war was over. They set fires on Main Street.

Me: On Main Street in Buffalo? Like campfires?

Judy: In Snyder. Bonfires. Wood, tires. The Higgins family set fires.

Me: Umm...Did you say "Higgins?"

Judy: Yes, I remember it was the Higginses.

Me: Did you know I'm a Higgins? That's my name.

Judy: Really??? Joe Higgins. Lois...

Me: No.

Judy: Alright. It was different Higginses then.


(photo from Dominic's Pics on Flickr)

No comments: